'Tina Turner, Contact'Regular price $1,547.00
© Jack Robinson Archive
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
Tina Turner, born as Anna Mae Bullock, began singing professionally as a teenager after meeting the established performer Ike Turner. At twenty, she stood in for a singer who failed to show for a recording session, and her rendering of 'A Fool in Love' in 1960 reached number two in the Top 30 chart. Anna Mae was now Tina, and the name of the act was the Ike and Tina Turner Revue. With hits such as 'River Deep and Mountain High,' and 'Proud Mary,' they regularly appeared in the music charts and on concert stages as they ascended to stardom. Jack Robinson photographed Tina on November 25, 1969 while Ike and Tina were in New York on tour with The Rolling Stones. Shown is a contact sheet from that session showing Tina's amazing movement. In a 'People Are Taking About…' feature of Vogue, Tina is quoted 'People seem to worry about how women suffer in the songs I sing. They do, but they give it back. No man can get the best of any woman if she knows what to expect.'
Born in 1928, Jack Robinson grew up in Clarksdale, Mississippi, attended Tulane University, and pursued photography as a hobby in New Orleans. His early street portraits captured New Orleans' rich culture.
In 1955, he moved to New York, becoming a renowned freelance fashion photographer, even gracing the cover of Life Magazine within four years. In 1965, he joined Vogue Magazine and impressed Diana Vreeland with his portrait work. Jack completed numerous assignments for Vogue over seven years. In 1972, he returned to Memphis to care for his parents, ending his photography career. Later, he excelled in stained glass design.
When he passed away from cancer in 1997, his extensive photographic legacy was discovered, leading to The Jack Robinson Archive and The Robinson Gallery, fulfilling his posthumous wish to preserve his work.
The Jack Robinson Archive
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise clearly indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance to delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London or abroad when ordering a bespoke foamed wood crate.
- All the pricing listed across the website excludes V.A.T. and frame
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.
- Sale for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.