The Smiths, Morrissey, Johnny Marr, Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce, ‘Salford Lads Club, No.I’Regular price $194.00
© Stephen Wright
Salford, U.K. 1984
Fuji crystal archive lustre finish photographic paper print hand signed by the photographer
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
‘This shoot really should have gone to a big-name photographer – an Anton Corbijn or a Pennie Smith – but it went to me, a fan using a cheap Nikon with the wrong lens. I'd sent Rough Trade, the Smiths' label, pictures of the band playing, and Morrissey liked them. They asked me to shoot what would become the inside sleeve to The Queen Is Dead.’ Stephen Wright for The Guardian
‘Apparently it is the most famous photo session of The Smiths and that makes me smile. To me I count myself so very lucky, as a huge fan to have got the opportunity to see and shoot The Smiths live and then to get to meet them and shoot the Salford Lads images. The Salford Lads photo session was shot on a cold, dark, winter day in Salford, yet somehow it set the right mood. I and friend George Pace went to shoot the session mid December with a pocketful of film and a bit of taxi fare. It seems so casual and un-posed and in a way that’s just how it came together.’ Stephen Wright. Originally from Reading, Stephen bought his first camera at age 21 from the £40 he won on a premium bond. By 1983 he was taking live pictures of Manchester bands like The Smiths for music magazines and record companies. These days his body of work sits as part of the collections of the National Portrait Gallery, London, the Manchester Art Gallery and the Salford Art Gallery. All rather funny when the original film was processed in a bedroom-darkroom, with the chemicals kept in old drinks bottles.
National Portrait Gallery
Manchester Evening News
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.