The Beatles, Paul McCartney, ‘Vale Studios, No.VII’Regular price $1,163.00
London, U.K. 1966
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
This shot was taken at Whitaker’s London studio in Chelsea, following an interview for ‘The Sound of the Stars’. ‘The Butcher Sleeve’ session is a series of surreal photographs that played on the band’s celebrity.
‘I wanted to do a real experiment. People will jump to the wrong conclusions about it being sick, but the whole thing is based on simplicity, linking four very real people with something real. I got George to knock some nails into John’s head and took some sausages along to get some other pictures. I dressed them up in white smocks as butchers, and this is the result. The use of the camera as a means to creating situations.’ Robert Whitaker
When Beatlemania exploded, Whitaker was along for the wild ride. He was backstage, he was in the studio, he went to the boys’ homes, he became their friend. Robert Whitaker devised many of the iconic Beatles images, and his pictures were taken during one of the most popular periods in the band's history.
Robert Whitaker created his most famous and enduring work with the Beatles, especially with John Lennon, who had become a close friend. He spent two years travelling with the band and shooting them at work, on their tours, in their homes, in the recording studios, in rare candid, private moments as well as in more formal photo-sessions.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.