The Band, Rick Danko, Garth Hudson, Richard Manuel, Robbie Robertson, Levon Helm ‘Levon’s Mandolin’Regular price Price on Request
© Norman Seeff
Woodstock, U.S.A. 1970
Digital archival C-type print hand signed by the photographer
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
The price for this photography fine art print ranges from £2000 to £20,000+VAT GBP across all its various paper sizes. Contact us for pricing enquiries.
On the 40th anniversary of The Band's legendary The Last Waltz concert, Robbie Robertson released Testimony: A Memoir an account of his musical beginnings and the golden years of The Band. In it, he describes Seeff’s 1970 visit to the Big Pink and how it came about – including Bob Cato’s inference that Norman had just arrived in N.Y. and was the ‘new guy in town.’ ‘We just returned to Woodstock to catch our breath and compare Glyn's and Todd's mixes. Art director Bob Cato said he had a new photographer from South Africa we should try. He was just arriving in the US and Cato sent him directly to Woodstock to shoot us. The photographer arrived like a phantom and set up in the studio building at my house. He had a kind of a wiry frame and blond hair. He looked a bit jet lagged, and scared. I never spoke to him, just got out of the way. When the guys came over for the shoot, we had no idea what to expect. He spent a very short period of time placing his flash and getting what he could. I wanted to thank him for coming to Woodstock to take the shot and venturing from South Africa, but I hadn't caught his name. ‘Norman, my name is Norman Seeff.’ Later, two shots were anonymously delivered. I had never seen this texture, the style of art, in photography before. It was soft and stark at the same time, in a modernistic sepia tone. We ended up in using one of his shots for the cover. Norman went on to become one of the most celebrated and sought-after photographers in the whole country. Once again, I said to Bob Cato, ‘Good eye’.’
The Sydney Morning Herald
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.