Jane Birkin & Serge Gainsbourg ‘Kate, Serge, Jane & Charlotte. Isle of Wight’Regular price £1,100.00
© Andrew Birkin
Isle of Wight, U.K. April 1972
Silver gelatin archival print hand signed by the photographer
Edition of 20
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
From 1968 to 1980, Birkin and Gainsbourg were Europe’s most glamorous creative couple. They could scarcely have been less alike. She was young and lovely, health and innocence personified. He was seedy and dishevelled, yet he oozed Gallic élan. They appeared together in movies and fashion shoots, but the thing that made them famous was the song they sang together, ‘Je T’Aime… Moi Non Plus (I love you… neither do I). William Cooke
The photographs were taken by Jane Birkin’s brother, Andrew, a film scriptwriter and director, who had been photographing his sister since he first bought a cheap camera in his teens. All shots had been carefully filed away for half a century, and some he had never seen printed before. He met Gainsbourg almost as soon as his sister did, when he was working with Stanley Kubrick on the eventually aborted project for An Epic Film of Napoleon, and she wrote from the set of the film Slogan, begging him to come and keep her company and cheer her up from her daily encounters with ‘a horrible man’, who was mocking and teasing her. Gainsbourg was, and remains a giant in French cultural circles, but Birkin was already well known from film roles including a famous nude scene in Michelangelo Antonioni’s 1966 film Blow Up. Maev Kennedy for the Guardian
Life Force Magazine
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise clearly indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance to delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London or abroad when ordering a bespoke foamed wood crate.
- All the pricing listed across the website excludes V.A.T. and frame
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.
- Sale for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.