David Bowie, William Burroughs, ‘Duffy's Swiss Cottage Studio’Regular price £2,650.00
London, U.K. 1974
Archival pigment ink C-type print hand signed by the photographer
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
Writer William Burroughs was shot for Rolling Stone magazine in 1974 in Duffy's Swiss Cottage studio. Burroughs was a primary figure of the Beat Generation and a major postmodernist author whose influence is considered to have affected a range of popular culture as well as literature. Burroughs's seminal work was the avant-garde novel, Naked Lunch, which was later turned into a film by director David Cronenberg. In this sublime shot William Burroughs holds his former portrait from 1962, and note that inside the typewriter of the 1960 photograph is an early draft of his book, The Soft Machine, published in 1961. Hanging in the background you can find the artwork for the gatefold of David Bowie's 1973 Aladdin Sane album.
Duffy studied dress design at St. Martins School of Art and was taught how to make and construct a garment. He understood the drape and fall of fabric and how the structure worked. Using this knowledge he always ensured the garment was shown on the model at it's very best. Duffy was hired for his fashion photography by all the top fashion magazines of the period.
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.