David Bowie, ‘The Protector’Regular price Price on Request
© Markus Klinko
New York, U.S.A. 2001
Digital archival pearl C-type print hand signed by the photographer
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
‘David often came by my studio to select and edit his photos. Once he stopped by while I was shooting a British GQ editorial with a lot of male and female models running around in towels and he said, ‘This reminds me of the Seventies! And I remember nothing from the Seventies…’ and then he laughed.’ Markus Klinko
This astonishing full body colour portrait of David Bowie and a wolf is from a photo shoot for British GQ Magazine. ‘It was 2001 when I met Angelina Jolie’s famous make up artist, Paul Starr, on a shoot for Interview Magazine in New York. He asked me if I had ever worked with Iman, another client of his, and suggested that he would take my portfolio over to her house. The next day, Iman called me on the phone and said that she wanted to meet me and talk about a project. When she arrived at the studio, I was shocked that she was even more stunning than the photos. She was very complimentary of my work and explained that she had been working on her first book, I am Iman. The session was very successful. She wore fabulous dresses sent over by Alexander McQueen. A couple days later, Iman returned to the studio to take a look over the edits with me, and to my great surprise, David Bowie came along to help choose the cover. He was every bit as charismatic and extraordinary as one can imagine, but really kind and lovely to talk to. David was very involved in the selection process and had a great eye for imagery. Both of them loved the photos. During the editing session, David casually mentioned that he might be working on a new album and that perhaps he would call me to talk about shooting the cover for it. That sounded a bit too good to be true, and while I was hopeful that this could happen, I did not get my hopes up too high.’ Markus Klinko for GQ Magazine
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.