David Bowie, ‘Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) 40th Anniversary’Regular price £1,250.00
London, U.K. 1980
Permajet Titanium silver print with a delicate metallic sheen and hand signed on the front by Chris Duffy next to Duffy’s ghosted embossed signature
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
This photography artwork has been compiled to celebrate the 40th Anniversary launch of the Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) album released on September 1980. This print has been reconfigured by Chris Duffy with a reference to the three images that were used for the Ashes to Ashes 7” singles. David Bowie originally drew on the exterior stamps of Duffy’s images and Chris has used a combination of his father’s images along with his own images which were taken for the accompanying press and public relations campaign.
This session was the fifth session that Duffy shot with David Bowie, Duffy had given up stills photography but David persuaded Duffy to do one final album cover with him. As Duffy had closed his own studio the shoot was taken in Chris Duffy’s studio in Little Russell Street, London (later to become the Cartoon Museum). Chris assisted his father and shot the images for the PR campaign. The central image was used in the 7” singles released from the album and Chris has remastered the ’stamps’ around the edges. Bowie had requested costume designer Natasha Korniloff to make him ’the most beautiful clown in the circus’ and this Pierrot costume - referencing his work with mime Lindsay Kemp - was exhibited as part of the David Bowie Is exhibition. Richard Sharah was the make up artist introduced to Bowie by Steve Strange of the Blitz Club. Bowie describes this album as ‘wrapping up the 70’s’.
Duffy studied dress design at St. Martins School of Art and was taught how to make and construct a garment. He understood the drape and fall of fabric and how the structure worked. Using this knowledge he always ensured the garment was shown on the model at it's very best. Duffy was hired for his fashion photography by all the top fashion magazines of the period.
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.