The Hollywood Flames, Curtis Williams, David Ford, Clyde The Thin Man Tillis, ‘America’s Greatest Teenage Recording Stars’Regular price £1,200.00
© Lew Allen
Rochester, U.S.A. 19 January 1958
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
This photography work depicts The Hollywood Flames outside in the cold at the Auditorium Theatre in Rochester. The R&B band was best known for their hit ‘Buzz-Buzz-Buzz’. Elvis paved the way for the early ‘Rock Party' bus tours, when musicians travelled by bus, helped each other creatively, carried their own equipment and were backed by the local orchestra. These bus tours were truly the first integrated shows where the artists travelled together regardless of their race or background. Lew Allen photographed two of these ‘Rock Party' bus tours.
This series of stunning images were captured by Lew Allen in Cleveland and New York from 1956 to ‘58, Allen’s work features a stellar assemblage of early rock ’n’ roll icons. His lens embodies one of the last links to visually document those early days when rock was just beginning. This remarkable work takes you back to a time before these rock pioneers rose to legendary status.
‘This was the tour when both buses were late arriving at the Auditorium because of the snow. I jokingly asked them to act like they were pushing the bus out of the snow bank, since they were from Los Angeles and not used to the cold weather.’ Lew Allen
About Lew Allen
Currently residing in America, Lew Allen received a Bachelor’s degree of Fine Arts from the Rochester Institute of Technology in 1961 and studied with photographers Minor White, Ralph Hattersley and attended lectures from Ansel Adams and other noted photographers. Lew Allen’s photography was exhibited at the National Portrait Gallery in London -in conjunction with a BBC documentary featuring his story of Elvis. The Smithsonian Institution’s National Portrait Gallery selected his work for their permanent collection.
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.