Devo, '17th Street Apartment'Regular price £500.00
© Chris Stein
Akron, U.S.A. 1977
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
'We met Devo when they first got to New York. I remember Anya Phillips raving about this new band and taking us to see them at Max’s. From day one, they asserted their individuality. We had many encounters and hangout sessions with them over the years. This is my favourite image of them taken in the hallway of the 17th Street apartment, prior to its burning, c. 1977–78.' Chris Stein
'Oh yeah, I remember being a little kid using those little box cameras. I also had a magazine with a very evocative picture of a snowy street, and I looked at it all the time. I felt so drawn into this image even as a child. That was the photo where I first really felt that pull, that desire to capture things.' Chris Stein for Hunger
'Renowned as the co-founder and guitarist of the iconic new wave band Blondie, Chris Stein’s photography is as poignant and powerful as the songs he wrote. Documenting New York from the seventies to today, he’s lived through the streets and the streets live on through him: from the city’s early punk scene to the landmarks long lost, Stein has captured cultural moments like none other. Captivated by how photography can bottle up a memory forever, his work aimed to keep things as candid as possible, from his still-bandmate and former-partner Debbie Harry to strangers on the street, the result is raw images, people at their most honest.' Kitty Robson for Hunger
Blondie co-founder, guitarist, producer, photographer and co-host of cult cable show TV Party, Chris Stein began shooting in 1968 and hasn’t put the camera down since. It’s all there on film: Warhol, Debbie Harry, the cast, the city – and its his documentary of the Big Apple throughout the 70s and 80s that remains just as looming a character in his photographic archive.
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise clearly indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance to delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London or abroad when ordering a bespoke foamed wood crate.
- All the pricing listed across the website excludes V.A.T. and frame
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.
- Sale for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.