The Smiths, Morrissey, Johnny Marr, Andy Rourke, Mike Joyce, ‘Coronation Street, No.II’Regular price £150.00
© Stephen Wright
Salford, U.K. 1984
Fuji crystal archive lustre finish photographic paper print hand signed by the photographer
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
This capture was taken during the shoot for the cover of The Queen Is Dead album, The Smiths second LP release in June 1986. A few hundred yards from the Salford Lads Club is the other end of Coronation Street. A capture from the photo shoot was used on the cover of 'Record Collector' and a similar colour version used on the cover of 'Songs that Saved Your Life’. In his images, Stephen captures moments in The Smiths’ live shows – the first of which was at the Free Trade Hall. This show, described by Stephen as ‘truly magnificent’, produced the famous ‘Bum and Flowers’ image amongst others and, a year or so later, he was asked to do the now iconic ‘The Queen is Dead’ shoot.
‘The Queen is Dead shoot itself was in late November in Salford on a damp dark day; it should really have been cancelled as the light was so poor for photography. We spent a bit of time at a couple of locations but the Salford Lads' Club was the key one. You can even see Johnny shivering in some of the images. Somehow the casual poses and the grim weather give the photos a certain natural and gritty character and I love the way Morrissey stands there, arms folded and smirking slightly like the Mona Lisa.’ Stephen Wright
National Portrait Gallery
Manchester Evening News
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.