'Julie Christie Shopping at Kenny Lanes'Regular price $1,536.00
© Jack Robinson Archive
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
Julie Christie was born in Assam, India where her father was a British tea planter. educated in England and France, she developed into a stage actress, and then appeared in television serials. The director John Schlesinger gave her a small, screen-stealing part in Billy Liar (1963), leading to the principal role in his film Darling (1965), a role that won Christie the Academy Award. Jack Robinson photographed her for a 'Vogue’s Own Boutique' feature on December 18, 1965 as Christie was in New York to promote the David Lean epic Doctor Zhivago (1965). Jack followed Christie as 'she beelined for every boutique in sight' and included a special trip to Kenny Lane’s own jewelry workshop.
Born in 1928, Jack Robinson grew up in Clarksdale, Mississippi, attended Tulane University, and pursued photography as a hobby in New Orleans. His early street portraits captured New Orleans' rich culture.
In 1955, he moved to New York, becoming a renowned freelance fashion photographer, even gracing the cover of Life Magazine within four years. In 1965, he joined Vogue Magazine and impressed Diana Vreeland with his portrait work. Jack completed numerous assignments for Vogue over seven years. In 1972, he returned to Memphis to care for his parents, ending his photography career. Later, he excelled in stained glass design.
When he passed away from cancer in 1997, his extensive photographic legacy was discovered, leading to The Jack Robinson Archive and The Robinson Gallery, fulfilling his posthumous wish to preserve his work.
The Jack Robinson Archive
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise clearly indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance to delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London or abroad when ordering a bespoke foamed wood crate.
- All the pricing listed across the website excludes V.A.T. and frame
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.
- Sale for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.