The Clash, Paul Simonon, ‘London Calling’Regular price £4,000.00
© Pennie Smith
New York City, U.S.A. 1979
Silver bromide print hand signed by the photographer
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
The photograph immortalised Simonon’s rage in grainy black and white. It was an emotional response, he later said, to a stiff New York audience that sat all night in their seats and didn’t move. ‘You can’t really tell it’s Paul,’ says Smith. ‘But I guess that’s the point.’ Pennie Smith for The Guardian
‘The Palladium was an all-seat venue and the Clash were used to a more raucous crowd. As the band tried to rally their fans to their feet, the bouncers pressured them back to their seats. ‘That frustrated me to the point that I destroyed this bass guitar,’ explained Paul Simonon in a 2011 interview with Fender. ‘Unfortunately you always sort of tend to destroy the things you love.’ The bass was destroyed utterly. But even on the night, the band seemed to be somehow aware of the significance of the act. ‘Strummer took one of the pieces and was about to walk off with it,’ recalled Simonon. ‘I just grabbed it back and said ‘I think that belongs to me.’ Having briefly loaned it the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Museum in Cleveland, Simonon still has the remains of London Calling bass today.’ Alex Baker for Fender
The Irish Times
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.