The Rolling Stones, Mick Jagger, 'Sticky Fingers'Regular price £2,800.00
© David Montgomery
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
Shot by David Montgomery, this iconic photography work depicts a nude Mick Jagger holding the Sticky Fingers album cover, which was conceived by Andy Warhol. It was, recalled the photographer, David Montgomery, today, like battling with the devil. ‘I suppose they were just being very rock 'n' roll. It was like battling with the devil. I was photographing a lot of famous people at the time. I'd shot the Queen and top politicians, and I always adopted the philosophy that I just do my job as best I can; I don't need to go home with these people. It was obvious who was in charge that evening: the ultra-confident Jagger. Maybe he was just in a bad mood that night and I just happened to be the poor bugger taking the pictures.’ David Montgomery for the Guardian
Born in Brooklyn, New York, David Montgomery is a multiple award-winning photographer having produced many of the most memorable images of the sixties and seventies, he was heralded by Q Magazine as having shot some of the most iconic images of the sixties. After studying under Alexi Brodevitch, he became assistant to photographer Lester Bookbinder with whom he accompanied on a working visit to London, quickly falling in love with the city he stayed and moved his family over soon after.
Montgomery is best known for his work with Rolling Stones, namely the Electric Ladyland album cover, and iconic portrait of Hendrix wrapped in smoke and flames, which was entirely real after Montgomery started a fire behind the musician with a petrol canister.
Montgomery has been regularly featured in Vogue, The Telegraph, Rolling Stone, The Sunday Times and many books including Nicky Haslam’s Sheer Opulence. He was commissioned by the post office to create a special edition stamp for the millennium which won silver at the Design and Art Direction Awards, his work is exhibited in private collections and public galleries around the world, having been recently added to the permanent collection at the Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, U.S.A.
National Portrait Gallery
Louis Loves London
Watch / ARTE / Blow-up, le Londres Fissuré d’Antonioni
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise clearly indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance to delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London or abroad when ordering a bespoke foamed wood crate.
- All the pricing listed across the website excludes V.A.T. and frame
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.
- Sale for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.