'Joe Dallesandro, Reflection'Regular price $1,537.00
© Jack Robinson Archive
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
Joe Dallesandro was a prominent underground star as a consequence of his appearances in films made by Andy Warhol and Paul Morrissey. The most notable were the trilogy Flesh (1968), Trash (1970), and Heat (1972). Dallesandro’s 'Little Joe' tattoo on his upper right arm is a reference to his nickname, made infamous in Lou Reed’s 1972 hit song 'Walk on the Wild Side.' Reed’s lyrics tell the tale of a series of individuals and their respective journeys to New York City, and refer to several of the regular 'superstars' at Andy Warhol's New York studio. The photograph was taken by Jack Robinson for a Vogue feature on December 2, 1970. Early the next year, Andy Warhol designed the cover of The Rolling Stones album Sticky Fingers using a picture of Dallesandro, complete with zipper.
Born in 1928, Jack Robinson grew up in Clarksdale, Mississippi, attended Tulane University, and pursued photography as a hobby in New Orleans. His early street portraits captured New Orleans' rich culture.
In 1955, he moved to New York, becoming a renowned freelance fashion photographer, even gracing the cover of Life Magazine within four years. In 1965, he joined Vogue Magazine and impressed Diana Vreeland with his portrait work. Jack completed numerous assignments for Vogue over seven years. In 1972, he returned to Memphis to care for his parents, ending his photography career. Later, he excelled in stained glass design.
When he passed away from cancer in 1997, his extensive photographic legacy was discovered, leading to The Jack Robinson Archive and The Robinson Gallery, fulfilling his posthumous wish to preserve his work.
The Jack Robinson Archive
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise clearly indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance to delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London or abroad when ordering a bespoke foamed wood crate.
- All the pricing listed across the website excludes V.A.T. and frame
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.
- Sale for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.