Jane Birkin, ‘Battersea Park’Regular price $1,421.00
© Andrew Birkin
London, U.K. 10 March 1964
Digital archival print hand signed by the photographer
Edition of 20
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
‘I can't be the only person in the world to have three different husbands, and yet those relationships are never talked about.’ Jane Birkin
It was on the set of 1968 film Slogan that French singer-songwriter Serge Gainsbourg and young British actress Jane Birkin met, falling passionately in love. Their public and turbulent 12-year relationship produced one daughter, Charlotte, while captivating a generation in the process. During this period, Jane’s brother Andrew Birkin, a writer and film-maker, took many photos of the pair in their more personal moments away from the glare of the celebrity limelight. The Resident
The photographs were taken by Jane Birkin’s brother, Andrew, a film scriptwriter and director, who had been photographing his sister since he first bought a cheap camera in his teens. All shots had been carefully filed away for half a century, and some he had never seen printed before. He met Gainsbourg almost as soon as his sister did, when he was working with Stanley Kubrick on the eventually aborted project for An Epic Film of Napoleon, and she wrote from the set of the film Slogan, begging him to come and keep her company and cheer her up from her daily encounters with ‘a horrible man’, who was mocking and teasing her. Gainsbourg was, and remains a giant in French cultural circles, but Birkin was already well known from film roles including a famous nude scene in Michelangelo Antonioni’s 1966 film Blow Up. Maev Kennedy for the Guardian
Life Force Magazine
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise clearly indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance to delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London or abroad when ordering a bespoke foamed wood crate.
- All the pricing listed across the website excludes V.A.T. and frame
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.
- Sale for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.