Buddy Holly, ‘Rock Party Bus Tour, Auditorium Theatre, No.I’Regular price £1,000.00
© Lew Allen
Rochester, U.S.A. 19 January 1958
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
This photography work depicts singer and songwriter Buddy Holly, who is wearing a duffel coat and exiting the tour bus during winter outside the Auditorium Theatre. Buddy produced some of the most distinctive and influential work in rock music. He can be seen hand-carrying a Continental Airlines bag that were given out as souvenirs in the early days of flying, and foreshadows what is to come just a year later.
This series of stunning images were captured by Lew Allen in Cleveland and New York from 1956 to ‘58, Allen’s work features a stellar assemblage of early rock ’n’ roll icons. His lens embodies one of the last links to visually document those early days when rock was just beginning. This remarkable work takes you back to a time before these rock pioneers rose to legendary status.
‘Looking back, I realised that I had witnessed and captured the birth of rock ’n’ roll.’ Lew Allen
About Lew Allen
Currently residing in America, Lew Allen received a Bachelor’s degree of Fine Arts from the Rochester Institute of Technology in 1961 and studied with photographers Minor White, Ralph Hattersley and attended lectures from Ansel Adams and other noted photographers. Lew Allen’s photography was exhibited at the National Portrait Gallery in London -in conjunction with a BBC documentary featuring his story of Elvis. The Smithsonian Institution’s National Portrait Gallery selected his work for their permanent collection.
Black + White Photography Magazine
Record Collector Magazine
Watch / Sonny West, Killertone Records and Eddie Cochran's Lost Locker Collection at Proud Galleries
Watch / WXYC Channel 3
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.