Andy Warhol, David Dalton, Chuck Wein, Edie Sedgwick, Gerard Malanga, Billy Name, Larry Latreille, ‘Working with Andy at the Factory, 47th St., No.I’Regular price £3,700.00
© David McCabe
New York, U.S.A. 1965
Silver gelatin archival print hand signed by the photographer
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
‘David McCabe’s extraordinary images will give you another angle on that undeniably charismatic, epoch-defining world. They’re the work neither of a wide-eyed voyeur nor a bombed-out insider, but of a coolly appraising and always sharply focused eye that wandered into this extraordinary scene almost by accident. They give us the Factory before the Velvet Underground, before Warhol’s dark glasses became a fixture, when a visiting Mick Jagger looks like a callow ingénu – Warhol when his now-iconic image was still being defined’ The Arts Desk
'In 1964, David McCabe landed the commission of a lifetime, he just didn’t know it yet. A then-relatively unknown artist and illustrator named Andy Warhol was looking for a photographer he felt comfortable with to follow him for a year. The job fell to 24-year-old McCabe, an ex-arts student and photographer from Leicester, England. McCabe had recently moved to New York City at the encouragement – and funding – of his employer back home. McCabe’s own studio was a short walk from the now-infamous Silver Factory at 231 E 47th Street. Warhol, who had possibly seen the amateur’s images in magazines such as LIFE and Mademoiselle, liked his style – but McCabe was asking: ‘Who is Andy Warhol?’ Ashleigh Kane for Dazed
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude VAT. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.