Andy Warhol, 'Sixth-Floor Office, 33 Union Square'Regular price £2,800.00
© David Montgomery
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
Taken by David Montgomery, this photography work is in the collection of the Andy Warhol Museum. It depicts Andy Warhol at the factory showing his stomach scars, and it was captured one year after he had been shot three times by Valerie Solanas. On June 3, 1968, Valerie Solanas walked into Andy Warhol’s studio, the Factory, with a gun and a plan to enact vengeance... she fired at Warhol, nearly killing him. The incident reduced her to a tabloid headline, but also drew attention to her writing, which is still read today.
Born in Brooklyn, New York, David Montgomery is a multiple award-winning photographer having produced many of the most memorable images of the sixties and seventies, he was heralded by Q Magazine as having shot some of the most iconic images of the sixties. After studying under Alexi Brodevitch, he became assistant to photographer Lester Bookbinder with whom he accompanied on a working visit to London, quickly falling in love with the city he stayed and moved his family over soon after.
Montgomery is best known for his work with Rolling Stones, namely the Electric Ladyland album cover, and iconic portrait of Hendrix wrapped in smoke and flames, which was entirely real after Montgomery started a fire behind the musician with a petrol canister.
Montgomery has been regularly featured in Vogue, The Telegraph, Rolling Stone, The Sunday Times and many books including Nicky Haslam’s Sheer Opulence. He was commissioned by the post office to create a special edition stamp for the millennium which won silver at the Design and Art Direction Awards, his work is exhibited in private collections and public galleries around the world, having been recently added to the permanent collection at the Andy Warhol Museum in Pittsburgh, U.S.A.
National Portrait Gallery
Louis Loves London
Watch / ARTE / Blow-up, le Londres Fissuré d’Antonioni
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise clearly indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance to delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London or abroad when ordering a bespoke foamed wood crate.
- All the pricing listed across the website excludes V.A.T. and frame
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.
- Sale for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.