The thrill of it, 'Mick Grant and the Ice Cream Van'Regular price $712.00
© Rachael Clegg
Isle of Man, U.K. 2013
The Thrill of It / Milestones series
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
Mick Grant and the Ice Cream Van is from the 2022 Milestones collection which, unlike the rest of the series was shot not on the Isle of Man TT course but across dozens of locations of historical significance to the TT. In this collection, riders, manufacturers and engineers all play a part in a plot culminating on that sacred stretch of 37 and three quarter miles of road: the Isle of Man TT course. These images offer a glimpse into the story behind the story.
The Story / Seven-times TT winner Mick Grant had an unusual start to his racing career. In 1959 a 15 year-old young Grant hit an ice cream van on a local country lane while riding his 350 Triumph Tiger. Ten years later the Yorkshireman entered the MGP on a Velocette but finished last after his home-built ignition system failed at Hillberry, forcing Grant to have to push the machine all the way back to the start. By the mid 1970s Grant was a regular on the TT podium but it was his 1978 win - his last - that remains his favourite. 'I had to race the last three laps without a rear brake, which was like boxing with one arm behind your back.'
Rachael Clegg’s photography series The Thrill of It is one of gritty naked glamour and celebrating the pursuit of motor racing in all its thrilling, unadulterated glory. Clegg’s black and white nude images illustrate historical stories from the Nürburgring’s and TT’s combined history of 212 years (the Isle of Man TT started in 1907; the Nürburgring’s first race was in 1927).
Rachael Clegg has carved out a unique art form for herself, fusing fact and imagination to create bold, often absurd images which are almost always accompanied by text. A trained journalist with an art-school background, Clegg’s work embraces journalistic curiosity with unshackled creativity.
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude V.A.T. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.