The thrill of it, 'Black Hut'Regular price $709.00
© Rachael Clegg
Isle of Man, U.K. 2019
The Thrill of It / Milestones series
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
The Story / The 1911 TT is dubbed the 'Indian Summer' for good reason. This was the debut of the 'Mountain Course' circuit, which took in the epic mountain section -a challenge that would hasten motorcycle development and profoundly shape its future together. But in 1911 few motorcycle marques could live up to the challenge -except Indian. While the majority of motorcycles at that time were belt-driven, Indians had a chain drive and a two-speed transmission, which proved pretty handy over the mountain section. Indian finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd that year at a time when TT wins significantly aided sales in stores. As one commentator said: 'motorcyclists were the horseback riders of the gasoline age.'
Rachael Clegg’s photography series The Thrill of It is one of gritty naked glamour and celebrating the pursuit of motor racing in all its thrilling, unadulterated glory. Clegg’s black and white nude images illustrate historical stories from the Nürburgring’s and TT’s combined history of 212 years (the Isle of Man TT started in 1907; the Nürburgring’s first race was in 1927).
Rachael Clegg has carved out a unique art form for herself, fusing fact and imagination to create bold, often absurd images which are almost always accompanied by text. A trained journalist with an art-school background, Clegg’s work embraces journalistic curiosity with unshackled creativity.
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes a few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance of delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London, or abroad, when ordering a foamed wooden crate.
- All prices exclude V.A.T. Sales for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.