Fashion, 'Vidal Sassoon on His Rooftop'Regular price $1,537.00
© Jack Robinson Archive
U.S.A. New York, 1969
Accompanied by a Certificate of Authenticity
Vidal Sassoon is a British-born Israeli whose father was Greek and whose mother was Spanish. Sassoon decided that if he must be a hairdresser, he would have to be the best, so he went religiously to the theatre to tune his ear and voice to 'posh' English, and found work in the West End. He was the most significant hairdresser to emerge from the sixties phenomenon of 'Swinging London' and his “Nancy Kwan” cut and “Mary Quant” bob cut became defining looks of the era. Vidal Sassoon has been called 'the founder of modern hairdressing.' Photographed by Jack Robinson in New York on March 7, 1969.
Born in 1928, Jack Robinson grew up in Clarksdale, Mississippi, attended Tulane University, and pursued photography as a hobby in New Orleans. His early street portraits captured New Orleans' rich culture.
In 1955, he moved to New York, becoming a renowned freelance fashion photographer, even gracing the cover of Life Magazine within four years. In 1965, he joined Vogue Magazine and impressed Diana Vreeland with his portrait work. Jack completed numerous assignments for Vogue over seven years. In 1972, he returned to Memphis to care for his parents, ending his photography career. Later, he excelled in stained glass design.
When he passed away from cancer in 1997, his extensive photographic legacy was discovered, leading to The Jack Robinson Archive and The Robinson Gallery, fulfilling his posthumous wish to preserve his work.
The Jack Robinson Archive
Bring inspiration into your lifestyle with Proud Galleries, we have the largest collection of authenticated, hand signed, estate embossed, limited edition and vintage photography.
Contact us to book a viewing at our space in central London, to add any of our fine art prints to your collection or for advisory services.
- Fine art prints are editioned unless otherwise clearly indicated and come hand signed and/or embossed by the photographer or their Estate.
- Fine art prints are occasionally made to order and delivery usually takes few weeks. We can provide gift certificates in advance to delivering the artwork.
- Bespoke framing and delivery services are subject to additional fees.
- We only ship framed photography outside London or abroad when ordering a bespoke foamed wood crate.
- All the pricing listed across the website excludes V.A.T. and frame
- Proud Galleries reserves the right to amend any pricing or information.
- Sale for deliveries outside the E.U. and the U.K. operate at a zero-vat rate.